Saturday, February 4, 2012

Chapter the Second: Of Rice and Relaxation

I told you all to stay tuned for a post about cooking, and here it is. The stove lighter is very simple to use, kind of like a taser, although I admit I did derive a little too much joy out of watching the gas burner burst into such pretty blue flames. I made myself a hearty batch of Daddy Rice; most of it is currently in the fridge, waiting to be eaten. It isn't quite the same as home, but it's close enough.

We have some Tupperware now, but I don't think we have enough at the moment to store the vast quantity of chili that the supplies I've purchased will make. Maybe after I finish off the rice, or after Liz finishes the tasty-looking щи (cabbage soup) she made and is storing in what looks like a large Chinese takeout soup container. As far as food goes, there's not a lot of sharing that goes on here; my roommates did allow me to nibble at their food supplies until I managed to go grocery shopping, though.

I woke up at around 2 in the afternoon and I've hardly left my bed all day. I feel fine, no worries--just spending a lazy day before I have to start going to class. I mentioned in my last post that Corinne and I got our classes finalized; we're in the same Russian language class, which meets 5 days a week from 12:20-3:30 PM (which is 3:20-6:30 AM for you guys). I don't know when my culture class meets, as that's done through the SRAS, and I believe that particular class begins Tuesday. There's a walking tour of the city on Monday and a supermarket excursion following it, although I think I have to miss class to attend the walking tour. I feel like the tour would be a better use of my time, but eh, we'll see what happens.

Liz and Alex went out to see the political protest that happened in town today; apparently at one point it marched right past our apartment building, but I guess it was either an extraordinarily silent protest or I just pay absolutely no attention to anything, because I never heard a thing. I didn't want to get dressed, so I didn't go, which was probably a better decision. Liz and Alex made it back OK, but you just never know with this kind of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment